National Safety Month
June is National Safety Month. The National Safety Council, a nonprofit organization promoting health and safety in the U.S., created National Safety Month, as an annual observance, to help promote safety from the workplace to anyplace. For the year 2022, the National Safety Council is highlighting 4 topics, for people to stay educated on, to create a safe environment for everyone.
National Safety Month Topics
Musculoskeletal Disorders (MSDs): MSDs are injuries or disorders of the muscles, nerves, tendons, joints, cartilage, and spinal discs. Work-related MSDs are conditions, where the work environment and performance of work contribute significantly to the condition; and/or the condition is made worse or persists longer due to work conditions.
Workplace Impairment: Workplace impairment is anything that could impede one’s ability to function normally or safely as a result of a number of factors, from chemical substances, such as alcohol, opioids or cannabis, to physical factors like fatigue.
Workplace Injuries and Illnesses: Workplace injuries and illnesses, include exposure to harmful substances or environments, overexertion, bodily reaction, and slips, trips, and falls at the workplace.
Workplace Fall Injuries: Slips, trips and falls were the second leading cause of workplace death and the third leading cause of workplace injuries resulting in days away from work in 2020.
For more information and resources on how to create a safe work environment, visit The National Safety Council at nsc.org.
1. “Get the Facts: Workplace Fall Injuries.” National Safety Council, National Safety Council, https://www.nsc.org/getmedia/e325e825-c110-48d3-b8db-727638928fbd/nsm-slips-trips-and-falls-fact-sheet-fnl2.pdf.
2. “Get the Facts: Workplace Injuries and Illnesses.” National Safety Council, National Safety Council, https://www.nsc.org/getmedia/dc014b71-630b-4a43-a435-faa36e0c230b/872700-RUSH-2022-NSM-Injury-Prevention-Fact-Sheet-FNL.pdf.
3. “June Is National Safety Month.” National Safety Council, National Safety Council, https://www.nsc.org/work-safety/get-involved/national-safety-month.
4. “National Safety Month Public Materials.” National Safety Council, National Safety Council, https://www.nsc.org/workplace/national-safety-month/nsm-public-materials.
5. “Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders & Ergonomics.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 12 Feb. 2020, https://www.cdc.gov/workplacehealthpromotion/health-strategies/musculoskeletal-disorders/index.html.